Washing instructions for purchased linens
WASHING & DRYING RECOMMENDATIONS
Laundering: We recommend that all table linens be laundered at least once prior to first use in order to soften.
Your laundry chemical supplier should work out the proper wash formulas and procedures for the equipment you have installed and the linens you use. Warm water wash temperatures and related drying temperatures suggested here will significantly reduce energy costs, and provide better results at the same time.
Before You Wash: Make sure your washer and dryer are in good working order with no rough areas that might snag the napery. Both washer and dryer should have adjustable temperature controls.
When Sorting: Separate your loads into categories.
– Darks and lights should be separated.
– Shake out laundry during this stage to make sure no food or sharp objects are accidentally put through the wash.
– We recommend that Vantage and Fortex linens be washed separately due to cycle variations.
When You Wash: Never overload machine. For better agitation and less wrinkling, fill machine to three-quarters of manufacturers recommended level of table linens.
Set wash temperatures no higher than necessary:
– 140 degrees Fahrenheit should give good results- start with this before using hotter water. Avoid temperatures above 165 degrees to minimize shrinkage.
– To prevent thermal-shock at high temperatures use a gradual cool-down or split rinses.
Choose laundry with the right alkalinity.
– Alkaline at various levels can be destructive, causing fading and other problems. Check with your chemical
supplier for the right product. Alkali should not be above 2,000 PPM — Normal 1,000 to 1,400 PPM.
Be careful with bleach.
– Bleach (non-chlorine) may be used, but can cause polyester to fade or change color shade.
– Always avoid water softeners.
When You Extract:
– Keep extraction time short (30-60 seconds) to minimize wrinkles.
– Use a centrifugal rather than hydraulic extractor.
When You Dry:
– Do not overload dryer. Fill only to half of the recommended level to minimize wrinkling.
– Set dryer so that temperature does not exceed 140 degrees F.
– Do not over dry. Generally drying time should run 10-15 minutes when necessary.
– For best results with wrinkles, remove linens while still slightly damp then iron.
These are only HINTS for taking care of your linen. You may want to consult the maker of your laundry equipment or the supplier of your washing chemicals.
FORTEX™ TABLE LINENS
Sample Laundry Procedure for Spun Polyester Fortex™
Machine: Unimac or Milner
Load Size: 140 lb. washer
Step Operation Time Temp Level Chemicals
1 Flush 4 Hot Med/High Booster (1/2 amount)
2 Suds 14 Hot Low/Med Booster & Detergent
3 Bleach 12 Hot Low/Med Bleach (Cl or O2)
4 Rinse 3 Hot High
5 Rinse 2 140° – 145° High Extract Medium Speed
6 Rinse 2 125° – 130° High Extract Medium Speed
7 Rinse 2 115° – 120° High
8 Rinse / Sour 5 100° Low/Med Sour Only
9 Final Extract 4-5
Hot = Up to 160°
Booster – Half normal amount
Step Down Rinse 15°± over 2 to 3 minute periods
VANTAGE TABLE LINENS
Sample Laundry Procedure for Vantage
Step Operation Time Temp Level Chemicals
1 Prewash 6 min 160 High 10 oz Booster
2 Suds 14 min 160 Low 12 oz Booster
Bath 8 oz Detergent
3 Bleach 14 min 160 Low 4 oz Booster
Bath 12 oz Oxy Bleach
4 Rinse 4 min 160 High
5 Rinse 3 min 145 High
6 Rinse 3 min 130 High
7 Intermediate Extract 1 min
8 Rinse 3 min 120 High
9 Intermediate Extract 1 min
10 Rinse 5 min 90 Low/ Med 5 oz Sour
11 Final Extract 5 min
WHITE- NOVA SOLID & PINTUCK
Sample Laundry Procedure for NOVA™
Load Size: 100 lb. washer
Step Operation Time (min) Temp Level Chemicals
1 Suds 15 160 High 12 oz Alkali
Suds Bath 14 oz HD 1000
2 Bleach “no drain” 8 160 Med 6 oz Alkali
14 oz Chlorine 7%
3 2nd Bleach 6 160 High 4 oz Alkali
8 oz Chlorine 7%.
4 Rinse 4 160 High
5 Rinse 3. 145 High Cool down
6 Rinse 3. 130 High Cool down
7 Intermediate Extract 2
8. Final Rinse 5 90 Med 3 oz Sour
9. Final Extract 4 Med
Note: HD 1000 is the name of the soap we use here. Ecolab has
something similar which they call Turbo Lifter
* TEMPERATURES MAY VARY 5 DEGREES.
* TIMES MAY VARY 2 – 4 MINUTES EACH STEP
Key: Bring the temperature down slowly. If you come down too
fast, you will “shock” the fabric and the wrinkles will come back
after the fabric cools.